[vox-tech] rpm that refuses to go away

Mark Street vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:40:07 -0800

On Friday 21 November 2003 09:24, David Margolis wrote:
> He tried to install (and I'm making up the exact file name):
> hsfmodem-1.2.3-i686.rpm
>
> This didn't work, and I think it's because he was supposed to install
> hsfmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm (the help files say the achitecture is important
> for getting this particular driver running).
>
> Anyway, I tried to run: rpm -e hsfmodem-1.2.3
> and I get something like: sorry, hsfmodem-1.2.3 is not installed

Hmmm, let's ask rpm if it has any packages that resemble hsfmodem.

rpm -qa | grep hsfmodem

If the package is returned try an rpm -e on it.

rpm -e hfsmodem   NOTE - no version, just the name of the package... this is
why rpm did not recognize your package above as not installed.

> So I go: rpm -ivh (or -Uvh) hsfmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm
> and I get: hsfmodem-1.2.3 interfers with hsfmodem-1.2.3
>
> The question is, how do I fool rpm into believing one package is not there
> so I can install the other if it appears there seems to be something stuck
> in rpm's database (or whatever system it uses to keep track of installed
> packages)?

You can't....  but you can force RPM to install over the other package.  I
would do my best to resolve and UNinstall the installed package first.

If that does not work.... bring out the big guns.

rpm -ivh --force hfsmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer