[vox-tech] rpm that refuses to go away

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:24:33 -0800 (PST)

I'm helping a guy on a redhat 9 system get his modem working.  It's one of
those nasty winmodems, but is supposed to be well supported by the
hfsmodem driver.

He tried to install (and I'm making up the exact file name):
hsfmodem-1.2.3-i686.rpm

This didn't work, and I think it's because he was supposed to install
hsfmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm (the help files say the achitecture is important
for getting this particular driver running).

Anyway, I tried to run: rpm -e hsfmodem-1.2.3
and I get something like: sorry, hsfmodem-1.2.3 is not installed

So I go: rpm -ivh (or -Uvh) hsfmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm
and I get: hsfmodem-1.2.3 interfers with hsfmodem-1.2.3

The question is, how do I fool rpm into believing one package is not there
so I can install the other if it appears there seems to be something stuck
in rpm's database (or whatever system it uses to keep track of installed
packages)?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave Margolis