[vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

Bryan Richter vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:20:52 -0800

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:51:27AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:

> Dunno about Win2K but in my experience Windows wants to be
> on the first drive.  Try cabling the Windows disk as hda and
> see if it boots up.

<stuff>
> -- Rod

If it makes a difference, Win2K doesn't have to be installed on the
first drive. However, the first drive must indeed belong to windows.
Once, I was installing win2k on the second half of a SCSI, and (without
telling me much about it) it made a small partition at the beginning of
my new, unpartitioned IDE disk. I think the partition was around 15Mb.
Most recently, I installed win2k on hdb of a newer, bigger IDE, and
since hda already existed and was unformatted, it went ahead and gave me
FAT32 there. Luckily that wasn't too bad, since I am planning on
installing Win98 on hda so I can play some of my ancient games (games
that think Win2k is WinNT, and tell me they don't support WinNT). :) And
yeah, I've tried running those games on WineX to no avail. I'm not an
expert with Wine, really.

-Bryan