[vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:04:26 -0800

hi doug and rod,

On Wed 19 Nov 03,  8:51 AM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> said:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2003 08:34 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > 1. system already had linux on hda and hdb
> > 2. unplugged hda and hdb completely.
> > 3. installed a new hdc.
> > 3. installed win2k on hdc.
> > 4. plugged hda and hdb back in.
> > 5. added this to lilo.conf and ran lilo:
>
> Dunno about Win2K but in my experience Windows wants to be
> on the first drive.  Try cabling the Windows disk as hda and
> see if it boots up.

from my recent experience, i'd say that win2k wants to be on the first
hard drive on the IDE chain.

for example, win2k is perfectly happy being secondary slave, as long as
there's no primary or secondary master drives.

> If so, then the remaining task is to set up Linux as hdb and
> hdc (make a boot diskette, change /etc/fstab, etc.), and
> install lilo onto hda.
>
> -- Rod

hrmmm.  for some reason i had it in my head that lilo can't boot NTFS.

i tried very hard not to take your advice.   ;)   i tried the windows
recovery disk and all sorts of tricks.  nothing worked.  i really didn't
want to write anything to hda, but at this point i was desperate.
so....

1. boot tom's rescue floppy (love that thing)
2. backed up 512 bytes on hda, hda1, hdc, hdc3.
3. mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt (the root fs)
4. modify fstab and lilo.conf
5. chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo

sure enough, you were 100% absolutely correct.  lilo is sitting on the
MBR of the same disk that contains win2k.  i can boot linux, i can boot
windows.  everything is great.  thanks for the suggestion.  i should
know better than to doubt you by now!!!   :)

ok, i'm ready to reward myself with a little duke nukem 3d.

pete

--
"Nobody steals out chicks.  And lives"-- Duke Nukem (played on Linux)