[vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

Mark Street vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:53:11 -0800

Windoze 2000 loader expects the OS to reside on the primary drive.  GOD
complex.... primary master or nothing at all....

I would install grub as your boot loader as it has more functionality.  You
may be able to use the map= function in /boot/grub/grub.conf to remap the
drives to "fool" doze into thinking it is the primary drive..

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.92/html_mono/grub.html#map

grub-install /dev/hda

Here would be my suggestion using map in a grub.conf

title Windoze
map (hd0) (hd2)
map (hd2) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

This will probably work in grub.conf.  From what I have read on this matter
Windoze may see the other drive(s) (Linux) and stall or delay boot....
wanting to own the entire system and all.  You can disable the drive in doze
Control panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager - Under Disk Drives right click
on the Linux drive and disable it..  With grub you can also hide a drive, see
the hide attribute of grub.

Good Luck

--
Mark Street, D.C.