[vox-tech] recent RedHat glibc upgrade, warning

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:09:52 -0800

I used RHN network to upgrade to RedHat's latest glibc release this
morning.  A few hours later, many programs stopped working, including X.

I correctly surmised that their new glibc was NOT compatible with my
custom compiled kernel.  Fortunately, I was able to boot into an old
RedHat stock kernel and revert back to the off-cd glibc rpms.  All is
working as before.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn others who use RedHat and compile their
own kernels.

Jonathan

p.s. I am slowly switching all my machines to gentoo.  Very slowly...