[vox-tech] Kiosk Distro/Desktop/Browser combo

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:57:20 -0800

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 05:54:04PM -0800, David Siedband wrote:
> Any recommendations for browser, desktop, and distro combos for a kiosk=
=20
> set-up?
>=20
> So far I've heard good things about Opera's Kiosk Mode and KDE's as=20
> well.
> I'm thinking Debian for the distro...
>=20
> Other options I should check out?
>=20
> Experiences, recommendations, horror stories, etc?
>=20
> TIA,

There's a whole thread about the beginning design issues that starts=20
here: http://lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox/2002-09/msg00263.html=20
(almost a year ago - Debian has since acquired KDE-3 and GNOME-2.)

We have had several people set up kiosks in the past year or so.

Bill Kendrick one for Newsbeat. It runs KDE3 in kiosk mode.

Darrick Servis did one for the Davis Food Co-op. It runs mozilla with=20
some special chrome (for more information, see=20
http://lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox-tech/2003-04/msg00246.html)

You can also read as both of these men begin laying their plans for how=20
to construct one of these beasts at: