[vox-tech] Qt/C++ libraries question

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:32:50 -0800

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 01:22 AM, David Margolis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if there are many Qt developers on this list, but this
> seems
> like it might be more of a C++/gcc question anyway.
>
> I have built a Qt app on my Linux box that _should_ run on Mac OSX.
> To do
> this I am supposed to statically link the qt library.
>
> 1. I don't know how I am supposed to move/compile/whatever this
> library.

Do you have a Mac OS X machine to play around on?  If so, the way to
get open source libraries (and software in general) is Fink
(http://fink.sourceforge.net).  Qt versions 2 and 3 are available in
Fink.

If you are planning to cross-compile, I know nothing about that.

> 2. I don't know where to put it or how to call it _statically_ from my
> app.

The question isn't how to call the functions, but how to link the
library.  I think (warning: I could be wrong) that gcc will generally
tell the linker to use a dynamic library if it is available, and
otherwise will link a static library.  I'm pretty sure that you can
pass an option to gcc to change this behavior.

You might check out http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/index.php
for some tips on porting apps to OS X.  It covers some weird little
details that you should be aware of.

Good luck!
Matt