[vox-tech] Serial on RedHat 9?

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:24:43 -0800

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:24:43PM -0800, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> I've got a generic, straight, generic RH 9.0 install on my IBM thinkpad=
=20
> T20, and it appears that it doesn't have serial drivers in the kernel=20
> by default, and I can't even figure out which drivers I should load.
>=20
> (lsmod doesn't show them... cat /proc/interrupts doesn't show irq 3 or=20
> 4 in use, /proc/ioports missing, etc)
>=20
> Can anybody point me in the right direction?  Please don't tell me that=
=20
> I need to do a kernel build just to get serial ports working?!

check out your kernel configuration files (which list the options your=20
kernel was compiled with) in /boot and look for CONFIG_SERIAL

if you see CONFIG_SERIAL=3Dy, then serial support is compiled in, and=20
isn't even a module. If you see CONFIG_SERIAL=3Dn (hard to believe) then=20
you will need to recompile your kernel.

also, see whether your kernel is recognizing the serial port with=20
dmesg|grep ttyS

char-major-154 should be totally unrelated.
you also cut off /proc/ioports too early, my serial port /dev/ttyS0 is=20
at 03f8-03ff, my controllerful modem on /dev/ttyS4 (looks like a serial =20
port to the machine) has an even higher address. Neither of these show=20
in /proc/interrupts. (and they both work just fine.)

/dev/ttyS1 should correspond to windows' COM2:

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF--