[vox-tech] Wireless card seems to "freeze" my wireless network

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 09:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

Version of pcmcia-cs?

I knew someone who was running RedHat who tried to get this card to work.
For them, it was a matter of getting the latest version of pcmcia-cs and
building by hand. He did not need or use WEP however.

Look at the docs for your pcmcia-cs and see the file "SUPPORTED.CARDS" and
look for "MA401" to see if it is listed as supported and how well.

In the SUPPORTED.CARDS file for pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 I see this in the section
for you card:

[orinoco_cs driver] [x86,axp,ppc,smp]
[ this driver supports multiple chipsets and some features may
not be supported for all cards ]
*CHOP*
        Netgear MA401RA
*CHOP*

Technically WEP is considered a feature. This could (but may not) be the
reason you see problems.

Other things to examine:
If you have access to configure advanced settings on your Wireless access
point, see if you can change the maximum packets sizes advertised. You may
want to drop them down by 40 bytes to see if this solves the problem.

Try upgrading the firmware on your wireless access point. When I bought a
LinkSysWireless Access point, I had to upgrade the firmware to get it to
work with Linux. Then, later firmware revisions permitted WEP to work with
it to Linux.

Try the card on a different OS to see if it is a hardware issue that
follows the card.

-ME

You could try getting the latest copy of pcmcia-cs to see if more
functionality exists for your card.