[vox-tech] Conversion

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 01:09:21 -0700

The bf2.4 kernel doesn't require a kernel image. (it depends only on
modutils and fileutils) The -686 kernel does seem to require a kernel
image, and consequenlty it depends on the initrd tools as well. I
assume most other kernels are like the -686 kernel. (But go ahead and
try the bf2.4 kernel.)

On 2003.05.22 22:28, Matt Holland wrote:

> On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Mike Simons wrote:
>>> I followed the instructions in section 3.7 of the
>>> Woody installation manual (Installing Debian GNU/Linux from a
>>> Unix/Linux System).
>>
>>   I'll have to look over those instructions to comment.  Maybe next
>> week.
>
> Thanks.  As it turns out, I seem to have solved the problem, but
> there's still the open issue of why the chroot doesn't behave the way
> that it seems it should (more below).
>
>>> all of the appropriate images that I see in "apt-cache search
>>> kernel-image" seem to use initrd...
>>
>>   Hrmmm... I don't see what you mean.  The kernel-images depending
>> on a
>> package called initrd-tools, but those are only needed if you plan to
>> build an initrd image that works with the kernel-images provided.
>>   I maintain the standard Debian boot process does not use initrd
>> images.
>> ... if you could explain what you are seeing I'll be happy to
>> investigate.
>
> I installed the package kernel-image-2.4.18-k6.  The first sign that
> something was wrong was that apt-get complained that it couldn't
> completely install the package because mkinitrd failed.  I would find
> it surprising if apt-get would upset about that if the kernel didn't
> require an initrd image to boot.  I also read some threads in various
> newsgroups, and they all supported the idea that these kernels
> require an initrd image to boot.  I haven't found any evidence to the
> contrary.
>
>>> I've thought of compiling my own
>>> kernel without initrd, but "make menuconfig" doesn't work in the
>> chroot
>>> (some complaint about missing ncurses, even though libncurses is
>>> installed and other curses interfaces [e.g., setting up apt] work
>>> fine), and I'm too impatient to survive an old-fashioned "make
>> config".
>>
>>   apt-get install libncurses5-dev
>>
>>   the libncurses is the runtime part, -dev is what you need to
>> compile
>> stuff like the kernel.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I compiled a kernel without initrd, and
> successfully booted with it.  I was then able to make an initrd image
> for the stock kernel, and now it boots properly.  So it seems like
> something was definitely wrong in the chroot environment.  One thing
> that's interesting is that now /etc/mtab contains an entry for hdb1,
> but if I try to run mkinitrd in the chroot, it still fails.  I'm
> still curious as to why this didn't work quite as documented, except
> that maybe the 2.2 kernels don't require initrd (I don't even know if
> that feature was in 2.2).  I'll have to follow this up by trying
> again on another system.
>
> So now I seem to have a working Debian system, so I just need to
> learn to do things the Debian way.

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu