[vox-tech] Re: CD writer suggestions?

D & E Radel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 09:28:19 +1200

> Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:41:20 -0700
> From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> To: LUGOD Tech <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
> Subject: [vox-tech] CD writer suggestions?

I have only ever written cds in Nero or Roxio in Windows
(dare I say it), but have some hardware advice anyways.

Stay away from anything by AOpen. Was burnt by an
AOpen 40x that kept dying. Supplier kept replacing it
under warranty with the same model. Same problems.

Within a few months, flashing leds, no read, no write.

Would lock up, not give back the cd unless complete
reboot.

Even when it worked, it behaved like it had no buffer.
Slow buring, no on-the-fly buring, did a complete image
creation prior to burning like the crappy WinXP builtin
burning. My Acer 12x writes faster than this 40x.

Supplier said he got one of these Aopens RMA'ed per
week. Go figure.

Dietrich