[vox-tech] starting screen from shell startup script

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 08:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Mark K. Kim wrote:
>
>> So now I'm ready to learn screen.
>
> Ok...
>
>>  So I'm about to put screen in my startup script.
>
> ... but I don't see that this is necessary or even a good idea?
>
>> Except...
>> Once I login, it'll execute screen, which will run screen again, which
>> will run screen again, then again, etc. and it'll be caught in an
>> infinite
>> loop.  Or does it detect itself somehow?  Or do I play with my
>> bash_profile vs. bashrc thing?  How do I prevent it from running itself
>> recursively?
>
> Screen supports reconnection ("-r") after intentional ("-d") or
> unintentional (communication failure) disconnection... but you have to
> give it the right options before it will Do What You Want.  Personally, I
> like to re-use a single instance of screen.  It might be possible to
> automate management of that, but I would think you would know how to do
> that after doing it manually for awhile.
>
> If you do proceed to automate based on terminal type like ME suggests,
> and if you ssh between different machines or accounts, what will happen
> when you ssh into your other account and it sees that you are already
> using "screen" from the first account?  You might be better off not using
> screen locally when you connect to your remote account.  Thus, putting it
> into your local .profile could prove to be inconvenient.

Yep. I automated mine about 7 years ago, but decided after a few months
that it was easier to start it up manually. An intermediate step I
included was the -R so that it would continue if there was one to
continue, but found this was not a good idea when a screen session was
"available" for reconnection but had somehow become frozen. (SunOS v 4.x
with screen and admin upgraded libs/patched system while stuff was
running.)

I now go manual since I am most often reattaching to a screen session with
all my stuff running as it should.

-ME