[vox-tech] Computer case for lots of drives...

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 17:50:41 -0700

Mike,

Somebody feel free to prove me wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone
makes a case like you've outlined. There's little or no commercial demand
for it; people wanting to do RAID or just control that many drives
generally go for hotswap SCSI.

There are a couple of computer surplus stores in the area with used SCSI
gear for sale. You should be able to get a fast/wide controller for less
than $30 and individual 9 or 18 gb drives for around $15-25 each. Since
it's SCSI you can put the drives in their own case (which you can also
find used) separate from the motherboard if you like. Or you can buy an
old HP netserver or compaq somethingorother; these have room for a
motherboard and six or seven hotswap bays. The place I was in yesterday
had several netservers for around $150 each. They also had a big crate of
"untested" SCSI drives for I think $3 each.

--
Kenneth Herron  Kherron@newsguy.com     916-366-7338