Upgrading XFree86 on Debian Stable (was Re: [vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:47:34 -0700 (PDT)

Pete wrote,

> has anyone complained about unfriendly installers before?

Rusty the installer was great to work with.  Debian the installer probably
would have stumped a Red Hat guy like me without some hand-holding, but
not for more than a day or two.

> the lingo is "unsupported", not compatible (not a big deal.  just
> thought i'd throw that in).

Heh.  Thanks.  ;)

> you can upgrade to testing xfree, and it's
> easy.  mike simons told me about pinning, and a google search told me
> the rest.

Thanks.  Always nice to know where to start.

> someone ... (sorry, i can't remember who) gave a *really* helpful link
> about pinning.
>
> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

[snip]

> don't know much about wireless cards, but there were some vox-tech
> threads that might be helpful.  i'm sure there's a howto.  to be honest,
> the whole pcmcia on linux thing is a black box to me.

I remember those threads on vox-tech now.  Shame on me, that should have
been the first place for me to look.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford