[vox-tech] debian way to set hdparm and xset on start

Mon, 12 May 2003 09:34:40 -0700

On Mon 12 May 03, 11:30 AM, Rob Rogers <rob@wizardstower.net> opined:
> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:51:12AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > hello...
> >
> > So I've finally switched to Debian and loving it.  ^_^
> >
> > I'm customizing the system now and not quite sure where the "debian" place
> > is for executing `hdparm` commands at startup.  I don't wanna enable the
> > DMA on my HDD everytime I boot the system.
>
> The best thing is to make sure your IDE chipset is included in the
> kernel, and also that you have the "Use PCI DMA by default when
> available" set also, and it will automatically use it. I didn't learn
> this one until recently (actually didn't hav the right IDE chipset
> selected in the kernel, and didn't realize that was my problem) and was
> running hdparm manually when I rebooted (only about once a month or 2)
> but now I don't have to anymore. :)
>
> Rob

rob, just out of curiosity, when you had the wrong IDE chipset selected,
did hdparm give you an error message indicating so?  or did it not do
anything at all?

also, mark, i believe you can get the IDE chipset from "lspci".  here's
mine:

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

so i choose "Intel PIIXn chipsets support" and "PIIXn Tuning support".

pete