[vox-tech] debian way to set hdparm and xset on start

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 11:30:53 -0400

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:51:12AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> hello...
>
> So I've finally switched to Debian and loving it.  ^_^
>
> I'm customizing the system now and not quite sure where the "debian" place
> is for executing `hdparm` commands at startup.  I don't wanna enable the
> DMA on my HDD everytime I boot the system.

The best thing is to make sure your IDE chipset is included in the
kernel, and also that you have the "Use PCI DMA by default when
available" set also, and it will automatically use it. I didn't learn
this one until recently (actually didn't hav the right IDE chipset
selected in the kernel, and didn't realize that was my problem) and was
running hdparm manually when I rebooted (only about once a month or 2)
but now I don't have to anymore. :)

Rob