[vox-tech] Running a suid root perl script

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 06 May 2003 15:56:29 -0700

--On Tuesday, May 06, 2003 16:47:24 -0400 Mike Simons
<msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> wrote:

> How about having the users bounce the mail message with headers to
>   bogofilter@site.internal
> then having scripts on the mail server deal with adding the spam
> details  to its filtering system?

There might be a problem getting users to forward the messages in a
consistant format. There are basically four ways to forward a message:

* Embed it in the body of a message, quoted with '>' or similar.
* Embed it in the body in between message-begins/message-ends tags.
* Attach it to a new message using MIME.
* Resend it directly, using new envelope data.

Then there's no headers, partial headers, full headers, rewrapping
paragraphs, encoding funny characters in the original,
stripping/including attachments from the original, etc. Maybe this won't
be a big issue for the users in question (and in any event, no major harm
would be done if the messages were slightly mangled on the way to being
fed back into bogofilter).

This probably won't do you any good, but let me describe what I'm doing.
I read my email through an IMAP server hosted on my home machine. I have
a special mail folder just for mis-categorized mail. Any time I find spam
in a normal mail folder (or non-spam in my spam folder) I use my mail
reader to move it into the "redo" folder.

On the server, a cron job sweeps the "redo" folder every fifteen minutes.
If a message was originally spam, it's assumed to be non-spam. If it was
originally non-spam, it's presumed to spam. Either way bogofilter is
updated and the message is filed in the right place.

--
Kenneth Herron  Kherron@newsguy.com     916-366-7338