[vox-tech] VNC behind a router

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 16:47:09 -0400

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 13:25:19PM -0700, David Siedband wrote:
> I set up a VNC server on a friend's windoze box so I can help him with
> problems from afar.
>
> Said box is behind a Linksys router that NATs out 192.168.X.X
> addresses. This router has an admin interface that allows one to set up
> port forwarding, so you could map say, port 6612 on the modem's IP to
> 192.168.1.105  The problem I think I'm having is that this interface
> doesn't let me append the port to the IP behind the router
>
> Ideally I'd like to map something like this
>
> [modem's IP]:6612   -->  192.168.1.105:5900
>
> Is this possible?  Anyone have experience with this?  Can you recommend
> a HOW-TO??

It all depends on the router/NAT. With a Linksys, I doubt it. I ditched
my Linksys months ago in favor of a small dedicated Linux box, which I
can do things like this on. Is there a reason not to map 5900 on the
router to foward to the internal box? If so, you can always to tell VNC
to listen on 6612, and then you can just foward that port on the router.
;)

HTH,
Rob