[vox-tech] Re: crashes -- kernel problems?

Sun, 4 May 2003 15:45:18 -0700

begin Charles McLaughlin <cmclaughlin@ucdavis.edu>
> Maybe I should have mentioned that I noticed something I find
> suspicous.  I ran dmesg and found the following:
>
> Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
> Could not enable APIC!
> <snip>
> Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
>

> Also, my laptop doesn't powerdown when I shut it down.  Instead, when I
> attept to shutdown it just sits at a terminal screen and says 'power
> down'.  I recently updated the bios, but that didn't change anything.

this is prolly unrelated.  there's a kernel config option that talks
about using real-mode calls for a shut down.  enable that option and
you'll get a poweroff as well as a kernel shutdown.

this got changed somewhere in the 2.2 kernels.  i'll bet you can pull a
million "why doesn't my computer shut down anymore" messages off of
google.  it even spawned a howto (which has since been discontinued).

> I wonder if this could be related to the crashes....?
>
> Thanks again for any advice!
>
> Charles

apic errors?

are you overclocking your laptop?