[vox-tech] debian force removal

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 4 May 2003 13:47:46 -0700

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On 2003.05.04 13:22, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> the following package doesn't seem to want to be removed:
>=20
>    satan# apt-get remove xfonts-abi
>    Reading Package Lists... Done
>    Building Dependency Tree... Done
>    The following packages will be REMOVED:
>      xfonts-abi
>    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not
> upgraded.
>    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 504kB will be freed.
>    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>    (Reading database ... 83243 files and directories currently
> installed.)
>    Removing xfonts-abi ...
>    W: type1: Category not found.
>    W: type1: Category not found.
>    W: type1: Category not found.
>    W: type1: Category not found.
>    dpkg: error processing xfonts-abi (--remove):
>     subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
>    Errors were encountered while processing:
>     xfonts-abi
>    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>=20
> looks like it might be a buggy script in the package.
>=20
> would this be a good a good candidate for "apt-get remove
> --force-yes"?
>=20
> or is there a more graceful way of handling this kind of thing?
>=20
> pete

--force-yes simply answers yes to any questions (similar to saying
`yes | apt-get remove`).

The usual way to fix an error of this kind is to debug the offending=20
script (located in /var/lib/dpkg/info, in this case the offending=20
script would be  /var/lib/dpkg/info/xfonts-abi.prerm

Another way you might look at solving the problem is to use dpkg=20
directly and look at its various --force options, but please consider=20
that this might not be the ideal solution for a Debian system (if you=20
do these things too much, you could start breaking things and=20
eventually require a reinstall)

--=20
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu
--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--