[vox-tech] my computer has no name

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 4 May 2003 10:19:30 -0700

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On 2003.05.04 10:07, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>
> > On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 11:40:43PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > troy,
> > >
> > > thank you!  yes, hostname.sh must be it.   but now i'm totally
> confused:
> > >
> > >    # The init script comes from sysvinit.
> > >    satan# dpkg -S hostname.sh
> > >    sysvinit: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > shouldn't apt-get install --reinstall have installed this file?
> > > according to dpkg, the file should be there:
> > >

> > It's in the initscripts package:
> > [troy@Saiph ~]
> > $ dpkg -S hostname.sh
> > initscripts: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
> >
> > $ apt-file search hostname.sh
> >
> > initscripts: etc/init.d/hostname.sh
> >

> > Now what is interesting, is that when i did an apt-file search the
> first
> > time, the output showed something that seemed to indicate
> hostname.sh was
> > part of sysvinit.  But when I unpacked the deb it wasn't there.
> Then,
> > after an 'apt-file update' I get results as above.  I don't know
> > where/how these tools get their info -- I think I need to go read
> > /usr/share/doc/apt
>=20
> jumping jehosephat.  are you running woody?  my system looks a bit
> different:
>=20
> dpkg:
>=20
>    p@satan$ dpkg -S hostname.sh
>    sysvinit: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>=20
> auto-apt:
>=20
>    p@satan$ auto-apt search hostname.sh
>    etc/init.d/hostname.sh  base/sysvinit
>=20
> apt-file (didn't know about that, thanks!):
>=20
>    satan# apt-file search hostname.sh
>    sysvinit: etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>=20
> and the package listing for sysvinit:
>=20
>    p@satan$ dpkg -L sysvinit | grep hostname
>    /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>=20
> all agree that hostname.sh should be in sysvinit.  in fact, there's no
> package on my system named initscripts:
>=20
>    satan# dpkg -l "initscr*"
>    No packages found matching initscr*.
>=20
> the package listing on the debian website shows hostname.sh to be in
> sysvinit:
>=20
>   =20
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=3Dfileli=
st&word=3Dsysvinit&version=3Dtesting
>=20
>=20
>=20
> but this is the bad behavior i'm seeing.  check this out:
>=20
> ### The file is there
> $ ll /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root   root   165 2003-05-03 23:42
> /etc/init.d/hostname.sh*
>=20
> ### Move the file somewhere else
> $ mv /etc/init.d/hostname.sh /etc/init.d/hostname.sh.orig
>=20
> ### Reinstall the package
> # apt-get install --reinstall sysvinit
> (snip)
> (Reading database ... 89019 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Preparing to replace sysvinit 2.84-3 (using
> .../sysvinit_2.84-3_i386.deb) ...
> (snip)
>=20
> Unpacking replacement sysvinit ...
> Setting up sysvinit (2.84-3) ...
>=20
> ### File hasn't been replaced!
> $ ll /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
> ls: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file or directory
>=20
>=20
> i don't know what to say.  i doubt it's a bug in dpkg.  i'm kind of
> stumped about it...
>=20
> considering i want to reinstall all the packages on my system, it's
> not
> really giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling...   :( :( :(   i would
> **reall** like to know what's going on before reinstalling my
> packages.
>=20
> > Glad you're close to being back in action.
>=20
> please don't let me leave california without shaking your hand (and
> putting one of my homebrews in it if that's the sort of thing you
> like)
> and thanking you!   :)
>=20
> pete
>=20

On stable, it's in base/sysvinit
On testing, it's in base/sysvinit
On unstable, it's in base/initscripts

Now here's the wierd thing:
[bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% dpkg -L initscripts | grep hostname.sh
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh
[bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% dpkg -L sysvinit | grep hostname.sh
[bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% apt-cache policy initscripts
initscripts:
   Installed: 2.85-3
   Candidate: 2.85-3
   Version Table:
  *** 2.85-3 0
         300 ftp://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
[bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% apt-cache policy sysvinit
sysvinit:
   Installed: 2.84-3
   Candidate: 2.84-3
   Version Table:
      2.85-3 0
         300 ftp://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
  *** 2.84-3 0
         500 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I don't know what's up, but this doesn't match what packages.debian.org=20
says (and if p.d.o is right, then this arrangement shouldn't work at=20
all.)

--=20
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu
--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3--