[vox-tech] my computer has no name

Sun, 4 May 2003 10:07:27 -0700

begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 11:40:43PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > troy,
> >
> > thank you!  yes, hostname.sh must be it.   but now i'm totally confused:
> >
> >    # The init script comes from sysvinit.
> >    satan# dpkg -S hostname.sh
> >    sysvinit: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>
> [...]
> >
> > shouldn't apt-get install --reinstall have installed this file?
> > according to dpkg, the file should be there:
> >

> It's in the initscripts package:
> [troy@Saiph ~]
> $ dpkg -S hostname.sh
> initscripts: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>
> $ apt-file search hostname.sh
>
> initscripts: etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>

> Now what is interesting, is that when i did an apt-file search the first
> time, the output showed something that seemed to indicate hostname.sh was
> part of sysvinit.  But when I unpacked the deb it wasn't there.  Then,
> after an 'apt-file update' I get results as above.  I don't know
> where/how these tools get their info -- I think I need to go read
> /usr/share/doc/apt

jumping jehosephat.  are you running woody?  my system looks a bit
different:

dpkg:

   p@satan$ dpkg -S hostname.sh
   sysvinit: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

auto-apt:

   p@satan$ auto-apt search hostname.sh
   etc/init.d/hostname.sh  base/sysvinit

apt-file (didn't know about that, thanks!):

   satan# apt-file search hostname.sh
   sysvinit: etc/init.d/hostname.sh

and the package listing for sysvinit:

   p@satan$ dpkg -L sysvinit | grep hostname
   /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

all agree that hostname.sh should be in sysvinit.  in fact, there's no
package on my system named initscripts:

   satan# dpkg -l "initscr*"
   No packages found matching initscr*.

the package listing on the debian website shows hostname.sh to be in
sysvinit:

   http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=sysvinit&version=testing

but this is the bad behavior i'm seeing.  check this out:

### The file is there
$ ll /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root   root   165 2003-05-03 23:42 /etc/init.d/hostname.sh*

### Move the file somewhere else
$ mv /etc/init.d/hostname.sh /etc/init.d/hostname.sh.orig

### Reinstall the package
# apt-get install --reinstall sysvinit
(snip)
(Reading database ... 89019 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace sysvinit 2.84-3 (using
.../sysvinit_2.84-3_i386.deb) ...
(snip)

Unpacking replacement sysvinit ...
Setting up sysvinit (2.84-3) ...

### File hasn't been replaced!
$ ll /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
ls: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file or directory

i don't know what to say.  i doubt it's a bug in dpkg.  i'm kind of
stumped about it...

considering i want to reinstall all the packages on my system, it's not
really giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling...   :( :( :(   i would
**reall** like to know what's going on before reinstalling my packages.

> Glad you're close to being back in action.

please don't let me leave california without shaking your hand (and
putting one of my homebrews in it if that's the sort of thing you like)
and thanking you!   :)

pete