[vox-tech] Wireless cards and orinoco patching woes

R. Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 3 May 2003 11:19:06 -0700

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:59:53PM -0700, Jonathan McPherson wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
[snip]
>=20
> Anyone gotten a wireless card to work under Debian and have any advice?=
=20

Hey Jonathan,

I have a Lucent Tech WaveLAN Silver wireless card which functions
flawlessly for me. I use the pcmcia-cs debian package. I have never had
a problem connecting to a wireless network, but of course, I'm not a
student so I can't connect to any of the campus wireless networks for
anything other than wireless.ucdavis.edu (which does work, by the way,
at least at the Coffee House).

Here is the entry for my network card under /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

You may want to remark off the following lines in your interfaces file:

wireless_essid Home
wireless_mode Managed

and see if you can connect to a wireless network. I always have success
at home and various coffee houses around town (like Mishkas, Delta of
Venus, Common Grounds and Cafe Roma).