[vox-tech] BIOS Not Installed?

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:49:58 -0800

--On Saturday, March 29, 2003 09:02:23 PM -0800 "Richard S. Crawford"
<rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> First, when turning the computer on, it displays a message in red
> reading, "Abnormal Hardware Configuration -- Press Enter to Continue".
> Once we've pressed Enter, the system does a memory check (several of
> them); it detects the hard drive successfully; it then gives a message
> reading, "BIOS Not Installed".

Googling on that error suggests this system has an Adaptec SCSI
controller, a Promise RAID IDE controller, or something similar
installed. The typical PC BIOS only supports booting from its own IDE
controllers. To boot from a SCSI or RAID setup, the addon controller has
to install a hook into the BIOS. Here, the message means the controller
didn't find any bootable devices and so didn't install the hook. It's a
harmless error unless the boot drive in fact works through that
controller.
--
Ken Herron