[vox-tech] Re: unfound ethernet card

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:14:03 -0500

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 05:11:33AM +0000, Bryce Kuklok wrote:
> >- Is there really a space in the "/lib/modules/2.4.20 debian" directory?
>
> no, it was a dash, that was a typo.  i'm flip flopping between OSs.
> i have no way of transferring info aside from pencil and paper, sorry.

  this can be fixed, you should be able to save files on floppy disk or
on your other partitions depending on how things are setup.

  if you have a floppy disk, try typing "mcopy file_name a:" when you
want to move things off the machine.  this will copy files onto MSDOS
formated disks (you can make one with "mformat a:").

> >- Tell me if you see a bunch of stuff from:
> >  find /lib/modules/2.4.20*
> >  (if it's just a few lines paste them here)
>
> i got no such file or directory

  Hrmm... you said that you had something called
"/lib/modules/2.4.20-debian2" up above, and that the find returned
nothing... this should not be.  Please double check...

find /lib/modules/2.4.20-debian2

should print *something*... at the very list one line.

> >- Send output from the following:
> >  grep CONFIG_EEPRO100 /usr/src/linux*/debian*
>
> This took a second, then brought me back to the command line without any
> text output.

- Run the following:
  ls -l /usr/src/linux*/debian*

- If there is a file named "debian2" try using mcopy to safe that to a
  floppy disk, and email that to *me* (not to the list).

> *HEAD*
> *HIT*
> *KEYBOARD*

  Sorry it will take several more rounds to fix this... I'm trying to
gather information about the state of your system *before* changing
things.

  What I know is that the kernel you are using does not have the
EEPRO100 driver compiled in, and the modules directory which should
contain the run-time loadable drivers appears to have been damaged
or never correctly installed.

  I would like to see if you have a config file for the kernel you are
running around, and if so get a copy so I can look it over and build a
kernel and modules package for your machine based on it.

    Later,
      Mike Simons