[vox-tech] Public Access Terminals

Darrick Servis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:00:08 -0800

On Monday 17 March 2003 11:42 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > The Public-Web-Browser Howto has been helpful.
>
> Have you got an URL handy for it?  It's not the one by Jamie Zawinsky, is
> it?

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/Public-Web-Browser.html

There is also the kiosk-HOWTO:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Kiosk-HOWTO.html

> Well, Galeon might be a better decision than Mozilla, especially if you're
> considering Mozilla.

I was going to try it yesterday, but ran out of time and didn't want to rush
the install of all the gnome libs it needs.

> > So, what kind of browser were you going to use and how did you plan to
> > lock it down?
>
> As I mentioned, KDE has a 'kiosk framework' (which you can learn about
> over at the KDE website... somewhere or other), which lets you do things
> like say "Get rid of the 'Print' button", "Don't let the user configure
> XYZ", "Don't show any icons on the desktop", and "Don't let the user save
> the HTML file to the disk."

Well, I'm going to try this route:

0. Slackware + kde + konqueror
1.  Slackware + blackbox + konqueror
2.  Slackware + blackbox + galeon
3.  Slackware + blackbox + hacked mozilla

I won't get specific about my goals, but the main thing is that JavaScript
needs to run very well.  In the past konqueror had some trouble with this
which is why I was mainly looking at mozilla.

I'll report back as soon as I have more info.

-- Thanks
Darrick