[vox-tech] re:Help a Newbie to run Linux on my Win98 System

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:33:04 -0800

begin karthikeyan.balasubramanian <karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com>

> > you probably mean ext3.  i'm fairly certain redhat doesn't use vanilla
> > ext2 anymore.
>
> Hmm kind of strange, I bet i saw this option in the CD i got and it sure is
> Redhat 8.0.
>
> I also saw ext3 but when i was searching stuff for dual boot i saw people
> mentioning only ext2 and vfat.
>
> by the way whats the advantage and disadvantage of ext2 and ext3.

that's prolly more than i can say on email -- do a google search on
"journaling".

> > if you're having trouble, you may want to look into winex.  especially
> > if you're trying to play win32 games.   but it's also packaged well, so
> > winex might be useful even if you're not trying to use something that
> > uses directx.
>
> Oh forgot to tell you.  I dont want to use Wine for games.  I have pretty
> good commercial
> App like WebPosition Gold.  I want to run those through Linux.  Otherwise i
> end up
> rebooting my system and then running it through Windoze.

fwiw, it doesn't matter.  remember, i said the *packaging* was worth it.

winex is packaged nicely -- no configuration or tweaking is necessary
beyond perhaps specifying which win32 API you want to specify (95, 98,
etc).

you wouldn't have had your problem if you used winex.

futhermore, winex has a lot of code devoted to copy protected CD's.  you
see this in some commercial apps.  that's why some non-games might
install under winex and not wine.

pete