[vox-tech] Re: Logitech Mouseman and XF86Config-4

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:51:05 -0800 (PST)

> > > It's a ps/2 mouse.  I tried the PS/2 protocol as well as the IMPS/2
> > > protocol but both cause the cursor to shoot around wildly and hang out
> > > near the screen edges in classic "I'm unhappy with my protocol"
> > > fashion.
> >
> > sounds like a repeater problem.   what device does X use to read mouse
> > events?  the device file itself?  or a fifo?

from XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "microsoft"
#	Option      "Protocol" "auto"
#	Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
#	Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
#        Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
##	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option      "ChordMiddle"  "true"
#	Option      "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

*********** gpm.conf:

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  If mouse response seems to be to slow, try using
#  responsiveness=15. append can contain any random arguments to be
#  appended to the commandline.
#
#  If you edit this file by hand, please be aware it is sourced by
#  /etc/init.d/gpm and thus all shell meta characters must be
#  protected from evaluation (i.e. by quoting them).
#
#  This file is used by /etc/init.d/gpm and can be modified by
#  /usr/sbin/gpmconfig.
#
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=ps2
append=""

(Thanks for the translation, Mike.  I have a dim sense of what a
repeater is, but am not sure if I'm currently using one.  I think not,
given that the device is not /dev/psaux but /dev/mouse.)

			- robin.