[vox-tech] CUPS printing

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:12:28 -0500

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:03:52AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> I have a LAN where our Epson C82 is hooked up to a MOSX machine. I am
[...]
> Even when I print to a postscript format in open office and then print
> using the command line, CUPS still gives me the same error.

  I suspect that the printer does not accept postscript.  You will
probably need a filter to convert postscript into whatever the printer
itself likes... this can be added to your CUPS printing configuration so
it is automatically done for all print jobs.
  Try looking around for magicfilter, or ghostscript... those are likely
to be part of the solution.

> I have tried printing to this same printer from Windows and everything
> works great. Every program I have ever tried printing from has worked
> from Windows.

  For windows someone installed a print filter (aka: print driver) to be
able to use the printer in the first place.  That is why things work
there.