[vox-tech] Re: Advice Needed: Getting 802.11b Wireless Card Recognized (Jim Lowman)

Charles McLaughlin vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:38:42 -0800

Jim,

I have a different card, a Linksys WPC11, but I also use RH8.  Our cards
probably have the same chipset, so the configuration is probably similar.
I've got my card to work two different ways in the past:  with and without
the wlan-ng drivers.

You might want to visit this site:
http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/wpc11/
I recently followed the instructions for "Section A" -- enabling the card
w/o the wlan-ng drivers.  That allowed me to use the Red Hat GUI tools to
further configure the card.  The downside to this option is that I currently
don't have any way to check the signal status (or at least, I haven't
figured that out yet).  The program iwconfig, which should provide useful
stats about my wireless configuration, doesn't work after following these
instructions

The other option, using the wlan-ng drivers was a bit harder to setup, but
the program iwconfig worked and printed out signal strength, etc.

Good luck!

Charles

> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:59:08 -0800
> From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>