[vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:37:15 -0700

On Monday 30 June 2003 10:07 am, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 06:27:08PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 June 2003 02:06 pm, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > > Second, their
> > > standard libraries have very different names for most things (even
> > > something so simple as the sine function has two different incompatible
> > > lines to call it in the two different languages - in c it's sin() , and
> > > in java it's Math.sine() ). So I can't even copy/paste strictly
> > > mathematical functions between the two languages.
> >
> > Technically, libraries are not part of the language.
>
> Not from the standpoint of your typical language spec (at least for
> C). The C standard specifies the standard library as part of the
> language; though I seem to recall that C++ seperates them more
> distinctly in the language.

Do you have a reference for that?  I always thought that
language by definition does not include libraries.  Perhaps
the standard you are referring to covers more than just the
language.

For example my old K&R says: "Input and output facilities
are not part of the C language, so we have de-emphasized
them in our presentation thus far...."

remote system administration services.