[vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:27:08 -0700

On Sunday 29 June 2003 02:06 pm, Ken Bloom wrote:
> On 2003.06.29 04:51, Rod Roark wrote:
> > Tell them to write it in C, run it through a Java compiler,
> > and fix the parts that don't work.  :-)
>
> This is totally not possible.
>
> First, many important syntactic features of C don't work in Java
> (structs, for example, pointer dereferences for another).

Those would be examples of parts that would not work and so
have to be fixed.

> Second, their
> standard libraries have very different names for most things (even
> something so simple as the sine function has two different incompatible
> lines to call it in the two different languages - in c it's sin() , and
> in java it's Math.sine() ). So I can't even copy/paste strictly
> mathematical functions between the two languages.

Technically, libraries are not part of the language.

Sheesh, it was a bit of geek humor, OK?   ;-)

remote system administration services.