[vox-tech] autofs - visible mountpoints and mountpoint locations

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:09:41 -0700

--yNb1oOkm5a9FJOVX

On 2003.06.29 11:17, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>=20
> i just learned how to configure and use autofs.  works great except
> for
> a few minor glitches.
>=20
> one of the minor glitches is that the mount point, say, /auto/cdrom,
> disappears until the filesystem gets mount.  for example, this
> produces
> no output:
>=20
>    $ ls /auto/
>=20
> however, this produces the the directory listing for the cd drive:
>=20
>    $ ls /auto/cdrom
>=20
> in other words, when automount runs, the mount point is not there
> until
> you ls or cd into the directory.  when the filesystem gets unmounted,
> the mount point directory again disappears.
>=20
> i googled for this, and found that other people experience the same
> thing.  it kind of sucks because:
>=20
> 1. can't use filename completion (which i rely on)
>=20
> 2. graphical file openers cannot reach the filesytem.
>=20
> 3. having to tickle the directory before you use it is just
>    very unaesthetic.
>=20
> does anybody know a way around this?   in other words, does anybody
> know
> how to keep the directories visible even when the filesystem isn't
> mounted?
>=20
> i could've sworn i've installed mandrake systems at our IF's that had
> this behavior....
>=20
>=20
>=20
> another minor glitch is that it appears you can't automount onto a top
> level directory.  in other words, i can have the cd automount into
> /auto/cdrom but not into /cdrom.  this is frustrating, because i
> really
> like having the mountpoint /cdrom.  can someone confirm or refute
> this?
> if possible, i'd REALLY like to have /cdrom, /floppy, and /jaz
> automount
> rather than /auto/cdrom, /auto/floppy, and /auto/jaz.
>=20
> thanks!
> pete

Mandrake systems use a different kernel patch called supermount, so it=20
sets up a fstab line where the fstype field is "supermount", one for=20
each drive.

It sounds like autofs creates one mountpoint from the mount command's=20
point of view, and lists all of the removable media drives there as it=20
discovers that someone wants them,

--=20
My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu
--yNb1oOkm5a9FJOVX

--yNb1oOkm5a9FJOVX--