[vox-tech] ARRGHHH! (I think I can't use rsync on windows)

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:28:38 -0700 (PDT)

> and the problem is?
>
> rsync certainly works on windows, especially under cygwin.
>
> you can also run sshd on windows, so that the remote machines could pull
> or push the content via cron if you wanted.

Neither the SSH client nor daemon are available to me on my Solaris boxes.
 I don't think that will be much of a problem though, based on what I've
read of rsync.

I've realized that the directory structure is different on the two
servers.  Here is the revised structure of each:

SERVER I (WinNT)

CLASSES
+->TOEFL
|  +->FORUM
|     +->File 3, File 4, etc.
+->JAVASCRIPT
|  +->FORUM
|     +->File x, File y, etc.

SERVER II (Solaris)

CLASSES
+->TOEFL
|  +->EXTRAS
|     +->FORUM
|        +->File 1, File 2, etc.
+->JAVASCRIPT
|  +->EXTRAS
|     +->FORUM
|        +->File a, File b, etc.

I hope that this makes sense.  On the Windows server, the discussion board
software (Forum) and its files are kept directly in a subdirectory of each
class's directory.  On the Solaris server, the discussion board software
and its files are kept one level deeper in the class directories (this is
just the way we have things set up -- it's how we get Perl and JRun and
Cold Fusion all talking to each other happily, and I didn't set this up --
heh).

What's on Server II is a snapshot of the files that were on Server I two
weeks ago; but since the discussion boards have been active in the past
two weeks, there are more files on Server I in the forum subdirectories
than there were two weeks ago.  Thus, the files in the forum
subdirectories on Server I need to be added to (or replace) the files in
the extras/forum subdirectories on Server II.