[vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:51:38 -0700

On 2003.06.10 00:56, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Mon 09 Jun 03,  5:05 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:
> >
> > Set up your X keyboard according to instructions included at
> > http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/pango-hebrew.html
> > A diagram of the keyboard layout is available at that site.
> >
> > Hit right-alt once to toggle to hebrew and start typing. When you
save
> > your work, the result will be a utf-8 encoded file.
> >
> > As an added bonus, applications that support pango (and this
includes
> > the standard text boxes in GTK+ 2.x, gaim conversations, AbiWord,
and
> > more) will also allow hebrew input using the same right-alt language
> > switch.
> hebrew are keymaps based on a phonetic layout which non native
speakers
> would be interested in.
>
> hebrewp keymaps are what native speakers would use -- people with
> real native hebrew keyboards.

this is backwards. the p stands for phonetic

> as you point out, they're just vim keymaps.  they don't work with
> anything else like xterm or abiword.
>
> now what i *really* would like is a phonetic keymap for X.  if i use a
> phonetic keymap for vim and the native keymap for abiword, i shall
> surely go insane....

All you need to do is modify the key mapping you downloaded and
re-arrange things until it is phonetic. That's not terribly difficult
to do.

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu