[vox-tech] broken mozilla

Troy Arnold vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:01:34 -0700

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:36:34AM -0700, Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If I have Mozilla up and running and open a new window (ctrl+n), the new
> window starts up as a blank window.  I think new windows should go to
> the last page I visited, based on my preferences.
>
> Even if I choose, Help->About Mozilla a blank new window pops up.  This
> new window should tell me info about the build number, etc.  But I get
> nothing.... nada.
>
> Also when I open a new window, the new window always lacks the 'back'
> button.  Even if I use this new window to visit several different URLs,
> still no back button.  I can't even use alt+leftArrow to go back.  The
> 'back' button only seems to work in the first window that Mozilla opens
> -- the default one that opens when I startup Mozilla.
>

> Here is the version info:
>
> root@cmlaptop:/home/cmclaugh# mozilla -v
> Mozilla 1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2003 mozilla.org, build 2003052713
>
> I'm running debian unstable. I suppose this is the latest version in
> debian unstable.
>

> I've tried to do
>
> apt-get remove  mozilla
> then
> apt-get install mozilla
>
> and I still have the same problem.
>

> I think I might have even did an apt-get clean to make sure I
> re-download the code.

You could try:
apt-get --purge remove mozilla

Though I'm not confident that will help.  There are also various mozilla
helper packages that could use the same treatment.

--purge should remove any configuration items as well.
You said this behaviour occurs for root and your user, but try moving
~/.mozilla out of the way after reinstalling.

Are you running one of the default mozilla skins?

Also running Mozilla 1.3.1 / Debian unstable and the back button on new
windows works here.

-troy