[vox-tech] Redhat 8.0 shutdown does not power off.

Shawn P. Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:57:03 -0700

On Thursday 05 June 2003 09:43 am, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:14:13AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i haven't been following this thread for a few days, but are we sure
> > it's not a hardware issue?
>
>   We know that he is still using a stock Redhat kernel, and changes
> Jim did were through modules in this kernel.
>
>   The shutdown scripts on his machine are locking up when it uses
> killall5 to send TERM to all processes.  What happens after the TERM
> is sent vary between hanging and rebooting...
>   He says the machine stable in other situations, just lately the
> shutdown system is acting weird.

In following this thread from a distance, I'm surprised, Mike, you didn't
have him disable NFS mounts/exports.  Might be good to do that, stay
out of X, and try several shutdowns.

Also, I'm not sure if he's ever mentioned which stock kernel he's using, but
whatever it is, I think there's a new one (latest is 2.4.20-18.7).  He should
probably be running that.