[vox-tech] desktop too hot?

Donald Childs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:44:46 -0700

When I upgraded from 5400 rpm IDE drives to 7200rpm IDE drives, I had a
similar problem.

I added 2 - 80 mm case fans, and the change in temp around the hdd drive
cage and 5 1/4 bays only dropped about 5 degrees.

I ended up adding drive fans on both my new 7200 rpm drives, and that
dropped the temp an additional 8 degrees.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I knew that the drives operating at the
upper end of the temp spec won't extend the life of the drives.

It's probably overkill, but the drives are cool.