[vox-tech] desktop too hot?

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:55:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hey guys.

I think my computer is running too hot.  Not the CPU, but the drives (CD,
DVD, HDD, floppy) -- whenever I insert a CD in, leave it in for a while,
and get it back, it's really toasty.  Same with the floppy's metal slider,
whether it's been spinning or not.  Opening the system, the metal chassis
surrounding the HDD are really hot (get burned hot), and the chassis
around the CD is pretty warm, too.

I don't think this is normal.  How are your systems?  Why do you think
this is happening? -- I'm not sure where all the heat is coming from...
the heat seems to be concentrated in the HDD region, but my previous HDD
never created this much heat, I don't think, or maybe I've just never been
aware of it?

I'd get a new PC case except there are a few things that a normal system
wouldn't have, like the CPU fan airflow redirection tubing, and the 5-in-1
media reader connections (and the USB and the IEEE 1394) in the front.
Getting an internal fan I don't think would help, as the heat is
concentrated in the HDD region (3.5" bays, not the 5.25" bays).

Thanks in adv!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim