[vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

In the configuration you describe, the bottleneck will probably be memory.
WinNT will bottleneck at swapping memory.  Linux will run blazingly fast
if you use a light window manager like Sawfish so I recommend ditching
Gnome or KDE if you can help it.  Also, avoid a memory-hogging browser
like Mozilla (unless you strip out everything but the browser.)

I also second Dylan's opinion of Debian.  But RedHat may work okay.

-Mark (just installed Debian on a Pentium 166 and happy, though w/o X)