[vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:32:25 -0700

i can confirm this.  it's been at least 2 years since i've tried
compiling a kernel using rpm sources provided by redhat, but it _never_
worked.  the compilation always errored out.

same goes for mandrake, suse and corel (rip).  it's my understanding
that they use the AC kernel branch, but i'm not really sure why that
would matter.  but they just don't compile.

the only distro the provides kernel sources that compiled for me is
debian (of course).

whenever i work on someone's computer, if the kernel needs to be
compiled, i just download a fresh copy from a kernel.org mirror rather
than using rpm supplied kernels.

pete