[vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:19:08 -0700

It's not too clear what you are asking.  If you download and
install/upgrade a RedHat rpm-packaged kernel, the kernel installs and
automatically edits your boot loader (on Redhat systems anyway).  No
compilation is necessary.  Older kernels are not removed and remain as
boot options in your boot loader.

You can also get an rpm of Redhat's kernel source, which is just a
super-hacked version of whatever kernel version it is.  This you can
further configure and compile yourself.  Due to the hacks, I have found
that many custom configurations do not work with their kernel source,
and you are better off using the mainstream kernel releases.

Jonathan