[vox-tech] Vim and vim-perl

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:50:53 -0500

Hi (I'm going to attempt to be clear the first time around)

Before:
When only vim was installed, I would ssh to my box, and vim a file.  like
when on the console, all I'd have in my ssh session was a vim session till I
qw

After I installed vim-perl:
-  vim now wants an xserver running, regardless if I'm asking for a gui vim
or not.
- when I gvim a file everything happens as I expect.  I get an X application
pop up on my screen in addition to my ssh session.
- when I vim a file and don't have an xserver running I get and error:
        X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).
- when I vim a file and DO have an xserver running, i get vim in my ssh
client like i did in the "before" situation

Is this the expected behavior?  I would have though, I'd only need my
xserver running if I asked for an x application (gvim or vim -g)

Thanks
Jay