[vox-tech] gmc file type annoyance!

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:02:08 -0700

So I'm setting up a shiny refurb'd laptop with Debian Woody, Gnome and
Mplayer for Melissa.

I just opened up a CDROM with some anime AVIs she had and when I double-click
them in GMC I get:

  Unable to open "/cdrom/blah.avi" with the command "xanim +f %f"".

  To fix this, bring up the mime-properties editor in the GNOME Control
  Center, and edit the default open-application for "video/x-msvideo".

Well, I did that...  In the Control Center, under "Document Handlers",
in the "File Types and Programs" section, I found the "video/x-msvideo"
MIME Type ("Microsoft video" is the description, and ".avi" is the
extension).

Under "Default Action", I set it to the "Open With Application"
(versus "Use Viewer") radio button.  I hit "Edit List" and entered
a new entry for "GMplayer".

However, even after hitting "OK", even after restarting GMC,
even after restarting GNOME itself, I _still_ can't play AVIs
from GMC... it just comes up with the same complaint about xanim!

Ideas?

Thx!