[vox-tech] good reference source for fstab permissions

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:18:08 -0700

Donald Childs wrote:
> Thanks for all the assistance . I'm able to write to the vfat partition
> now, using:
>
> /dev/hdf4    /mnt/fat    vfat user,rw,uid=[user],gid=[workgroup] 0 0
>
> but will go back and add the showexec attribute.

This is different from what I use for my fat32 partition(s).  I have in
my fstab:

/dev/hda5  /Documents  vfat  defaults,quiet,umask=0000  0 0

I'd like to learn a little more about these mount options, if someone
cares to enlighten me:

My method mounts on bootup, allows all users read/write permission, and
quiets failed attempts to change file ownership/permissions.  Reading a
little of the man page, I get the impression that "umask=0000" and
"quiet" essentially overrides the "suid" implied by using the "default"
option.  Is this about right?

It seems to me Donald's fstab entry only gives read/write permission to
[user] and [workgroup].  Also, it is not clear to me whether the
partition would mount on startup or with "mount -a" ("auto" option is
not specified).  But I can see the ownership/permission problems of fat
is solved by assigning the entire partition to just one user.  How am I
here?

I am also curious about the "showexec" option.  If I used it, would it
make "quiet" unnecessary?

Thanks,
Jonathan