[vox-tech] openoffice: annoying message and load time

Matt Roper vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:27:46 -0700

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 02:09:01PM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:
> From: Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net>
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] openoffice: annoying message and load time
> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:09:01 -0700
>

> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > using open office for stressful job hunting, and there are a few
> > annoyances that i'd like to ask about.
> >
> > question 1
> > ----------
> > 1. load an .sxw document
> > 2. save as .doc document
> > 3. file | quit
> >
> > open office now asks me if i really want to save because there might be
> > information loss in the new format.
> >
> > i don't mind being warned that i'm quiting the program with unsaved
> > changes, but this warning is just useless for me.  is there a way of
> > turning it off?
> >
> > question 2
> > ----------
> > i'm unhappy with the load time of open office.  is there any way to
> > decrease load time by keeping the code segment resident in memory, even
> > if i quit open office?  would setting the sticky bit on soffice.bin do
> > this?
>
> This would make a good, cheap experiment to perform. My guess is that
> setting
> the sticky bit will speed the re-execution of the process if your system
> is heavily loaded, but it won't speed up the re-execution if lightly
> loaded.
> If the system is lightly loaded, the process stays in memory anyway. Only
> when the memory fills up will those pages start being reused by another
> process. Setting the sticky bit tells the memory manager to not reuse
> code segments after the last process exits.

I don't think setting the sticky bit will do anything.  From the chmod
manpage:

    On older Unix systems, the sticky bit caused executable files to be
    hoarded in swap space.  This feature is not useful on modern VM sys-
    tems, and the Linux kernel ignores the sticky bit on files.  Other
    kernels may use the sticky bit on files for system-defined purposes.
    On some systems, only the superuser can set the sticky bit on files.

Matt