[vox-tech] openoffice: annoying message and load time

Tim Riley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:09:01 -0700

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> using open office for stressful job hunting, and there are a few
> annoyances that i'd like to ask about.
>
> question 1
> ----------
> 1. load an .sxw document
> 2. save as .doc document
> 3. file | quit
>
> open office now asks me if i really want to save because there might be
> information loss in the new format.
>
> i don't mind being warned that i'm quiting the program with unsaved
> changes, but this warning is just useless for me.  is there a way of
> turning it off?
>
> question 2
> ----------
> i'm unhappy with the load time of open office.  is there any way to
> decrease load time by keeping the code segment resident in memory, even
> if i quit open office?  would setting the sticky bit on soffice.bin do
> this?

This would make a good, cheap experiment to perform. My guess is that
setting
the sticky bit will speed the re-execution of the process if your system
is heavily loaded, but it won't speed up the re-execution if lightly
loaded.
If the system is lightly loaded, the process stays in memory anyway. Only
when the memory fills up will those pages start being reused by another
process. Setting the sticky bit tells the memory manager to not reuse
code segments after the last process exits.