[vox-tech] My Thought: Building a Server

Shawn P. Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:33:09 -0800

On Thursday 30 January 2003 09:30 pm, Richard Crawford wrote:
> My wife and I have been planning on getting a server of our own for quite
> awhile now.  And while browsing through Fry's recently, I stumbled across
> a book on building your own PC.
> [snip]
> that I've carefully researched to make sure they're all willing to play
> with each other and with Linux is probably going to be more stable than
> anything I buy from Dell or Gateway or Wal-Mart.

One comment on this:  I've bought many machines from Dell, destined to
run linux, and each time I've been able to get sufficient information *before*
the order to know with high confidence linux would support all parts (or,
I knew what the current problems were).  Not sure if such information is
available with a Wal-Mart purchase.  Nor is this an endorsement for Dell.

My general impression of your plan is that you'd probably learn a bit more
about the hardware than you know now, and learning is always good, but is the
cost of the time spent doing so worth it to you?  Only you can know.

shawn.