[vox-tech] My Thought: Building a Server

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:30:59 -0800 (PST)

My wife and I have been planning on getting a server of our own for quite
awhile now.  And while browsing through Fry's recently, I stumbled across
a book on building your own PC.

Here's what we want to build: a nice little server running off a DSL line;
it'd host a couple of printers, our documents, all of our MP3's, mail, and
a relatively low-traffic website.  I imagine this will be relatively low
maintenance so I don't want to worry about co-locating.  I've been
pondering RAID as well.  And, naturally, it will be running Linux (I'm
familiar with Red Hat, but I'm certainly open to suggestions for other
systems).  My rationale is that anything I build for myself using parts
that I've carefully researched to make sure they're all willing to play
with each other and with Linux is probably going to be more stable than
anything I buy from Dell or Gateway or Wal-Mart.

I don't know.  Does this sound like a stupid idea or what?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford